Stripped Down Challenge: Blog Edition

6:32 PM Unknown 0 Comments



I was trying to figure out what today's post should be, and I couldn't come up with any ideas. I have most of December's posts planned out already, but the inspiration for what to write about today just wouldn't come to me. I thought about the Stripped Down Challenge, which was started by Jonah Green as a response to Essena O'Neill's criticization of social media. I thought, why can't I do that? Instead of turning a camera on and talking to it for ten minutes, why not write instead?  The time limit for this challenge is ten minutes, so for ten minutes I am just going to write. No edits. Nothing. Just me typing. Let's see how this goes.


I now have a full-time job for the next few weeks. I've never worked a full-time job, unless you count college and working at the same time as equaling a full-time job. I am tired every day after work, but I also find myself energized to do stuff. I've been awake since five, so obviously being awake for almost twelve hours is going to take its toll on my mind and body. But I also feel like being productive and getting things done. I walk an average of 19,000 steps every day at work and when I'm done, I find myself wanting to keep walking and moving and doing whatever I can. It's weird to think that after putting in 40+ hours of work a week I can still feel so energized. There is science behind exercise which shows that a body in motion stays in motion. We all know the saying, and it's 100% true. The more we move, the more energy we have. It's such a simple concept, yet so fascinating.

I'm not sure what else to write about here. I haven't done much but work and read. Last night I watched a documentary called Racing Extinction. It's about the effect we humans are having on all of life. We produce hazardous effects on all living things through our production of carbon dioxide, the raising and killing of animals for profit and food, etc. On a clock, the time humans have existed amounts to around a minute, and we are right by midnight. If we keep using fossil fuels the way we do and haphazardly going about life the way we do, we are going to kill the planet, and ourselves. Of course, there is always a possibility of nature finding a way to exist even after humans are gone, but that's not the point. The point is that an alarming number of species have gone extinct in the last fifty years alone. Some number like 50% of species will be gone by 2030. These calculations may be off; I haven't checked the science behind them. But to think of all the species we have already lost from wildlife trade. We have eliminated so many beautiful creatures. Future generations may never have the opportunity to see certain animals because they will be gone. They will only exist in photographs and movies. I'm running out of time, but the point is, we are killing our planet, and we may only have a certain amount of time to fix this mess we have gotten ourselves into before it is too late to try at all.

I hope you enjoyed this sort of post. It felt good to say the first thoughts on my mind. These may not be the most organized thoughts I could share, but nevertheless, these are my thoughts, and I think it's good that the first thoughts that pop into my mind are something other than negativity and gossip.

Shannon

Check out my previous blog post here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: