A Famous Event That Occurred on This Day: Attack on Pearl Harbor

5:04 PM Unknown 0 Comments

I don't think I've ever shared my interest in history on my blog before. I've been thinking about introducing a new segment where every once and awhile I make a post about a famous event that occurred on a certain day I am blogging. Please let me know what you think about this type of blog post. I'm always interested in getting feedback on my post ideas and writing.

Attack on Pearl Harbor



On December 7, 1941, the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the U.S. Naval Base at Pearl Harbor (which is located in Hawaii), other U.S.-held territories, and British territories in Asia. This surprise attack led to the U.S. declaring war on Japan the next day, thus resulting in them joining World War 2. (Germany and Italy declared war on the U.S. days after the U.S. declared war on Japan.) The Imperial Japanese Navy decided to surprise attack Pearl Harbor as a preventative measure to keep the U.S. Pacific Fleet from interfering with Japan's military plans. The attack was planned six months ahead of time and resulted in the deaths of over 2,000 people and injuries of over 1,000. Battleships were sunk, but most were eventually able to be repaired and used later on in the war.

Pearl Harbor is a significant day in America, as it led to the deaths of many civilians and soldiers, and led to the U.S. joining World War 2. We are taught about Pearl Harbor during our Social Studies (aka History) classes. I remember taking moments of silence for those who lost their lives that day.

I hope you learned something today. If you would like to learn more about this famous event I will leave some links here, here, and here for you to get more information. As always, please comment down below and let me know what you thought of this post. Also, let me know about your experiences with learning about the Attack on Pearl Harbor. I would love to hear from you.

Shannon

Check out my previous post here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: